EMAIL US CONTACT US
The original school was located in the Kirkgatehead, at the end of Hill Street. In 1572, King James VI provided funds to found the King's School of Irvine.
A new building was erected in 1816 and a Royal Charter granted in 1818 for the directorship of Irvine Royal Academy, which included the Earl of Eglinton, eleven councillors and all who subscribed £50 or more.
The school was taken over by Irvine School Board in 1872 as a result of the Education Act and a new building was erected. It opened on 27 December 1901. After fees for secondary pupils wee abolished in 1927, the school roll rose and it became necessary to build an annexe on Kilwinning Road, on the academy's sports field, in 1932. The school's primary department was closed in 1952.
A replacement building, which became Ravenspark Academy, opened in August 1969. The old buildings remained open to serve pupils from Dreghorn and Kilwinning. In August 1992, the two academies were amalgamated into Irvine Royal Academy and in June 1993 the old school and its annexe were closed.
The new Irvine Royal Academy was officially opened by Councillor Elliot Gray JP on 22 March 1994.
> Detailed History and Timeline
> Coat Of Arms
> Former Pupils
THERE’S MORE TO IRVINE ROYAL
For all the latest information and advice on how Irvine Royal Academy is adapting to deal with Covid-19, including school social distancing measures, home learning during lockdown, symptoms, testing and self-isolating, please click the link below.
Latest Covid-19 Information & Advice
Back To Top
Tweets by FalconFoodserv